Friday 15 October 2010

Smoked Paprika & Red Lentil Soup

I was given this recipe by my sister Emily. It about 40 pence per portion and takes about 20 mins to make... Yummy and warming the smoked paprika gives the soup a rich and meaty flavour despite not having any actual meat. Though I am not usually over cautious when it comes to picking foods acording to their relative health benefits this is a lunch I often eat when trying to cut back on fatty calories and has a very low GI..



Slice one small onion and sweat in a little olive oil for a few minutes (You can also use coconut oil; I have been told this oil increases your metabolism.... do we believe? I'm not so sure...). Add one teaspoon of smoked paprika, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 2 cloves of crushed garlic and a sprig or two of thyme (dried is fine). When the onions are soft add one and a half cups of red lentils and 750ml of veg stock (or beef if you are feeling less healthy). Cover with a lid and simmer for 10-15 mins or until the lentils are cooked.

Finish with a good squeeze of lemon juice and some salt to taste. Top with freshly chopped tomatoes and a sprinkle of parsley.

Used as a base this soup recipe makes a really good fish stew: Add an extra half  to a whole cup of lentils and throw in some cubes of chorizo while frying the onions. When the lentils are nearly cooked add some chunks of white fish and a handful of prawns. Simmer for an extra 5 minutes or so until the fish is done.

3 comments:

  1. I make a soup just like this, except I make it fatty by adding in sausage! I've been thinking of trying to make this with chorizo!

    x Lyndsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious. I will try it next week when I will need something simple and healthy after the excesses of this weekend.
    Anthea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definatly go for some big chunks of chorizo in this soup Lyndsey, it works really well! x

    ReplyDelete